Author: Karen Radke - firstname.lastname@example.org
Organization: East Omak Elementary
Lesson Plan Information
Subject: Language Arts
Grade Level: Fourth - Sixth
Duration: one 45-minute period
This lesson teaches students how to properly use quotation marks in conversation in their writing.
I hope to get the students to use quotations in conversation appropriately in their writing.
Students will be able to use quotations around conversation appropriately.
Punctuation marks made on 9" x 12" construction paper. I make two sets of quotation marks, two commas, one period, one question mark, one exclamation point. Sentences written out one word at a time on 5" x 7" index cards. I use a different color for each sentence. I have 7 sentences that I use. Be sure to use sentences where the person talking is at the beginning, middle and end of the sentence.
1. Randomly pass out all of the punctuation cards.
2. Pass out one color of sentence cards to students who do not have punctuation cards.
3. Read the sentence. Students go to the front of the room and place themselves in order without talking.
4. Students from the audience get to move them around one student at a time until they are satisfied the sentence is correct.
5. Do the second sentence, third, and on through the 7th sentence.
6. After you are satisfied they have the idea, have them take out a piece of paper. You read each sentence and they write it correctly on their papers.
Method of Learning:
If the students can write the sentences correctly after the game, then they have the idea of punctuating conversation, using quotations.