Blueberries, blueberries everywhere
Author: FundingFactory Participant - Visit FundingFactory
Lesson Plan Information
Subject: Physical Education
Grade Level: Kindergarten - Second
A mother and daughter and a mother bear and cub go blueberry picking on Blueberry Hill and end up with a problem of mistaken identity.
Children will learn about animals and foods that help them grow, like people.
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McClosky
• Dramatize the story with simple props--tin pail, beans for blueberries, bear ears for bears, apron for mom
• View video version of story
• Have a “blue” day – wear blue clothes, color pictures only using blue, eat blue food!
• Bake blueberry muffins or other blueberry goodies. Lots of recipes at: http://www.blueberries.com/Recipes/Default.htm
• List and group sounds and sound words from the story. Tell how the sound would be different if Sal were carrying a wicker basket, a glass jar, a full pail. Why are the sounds important in the story?
• Read related stories: Are You My Mother?, Time of Wonder, One Morning In Maine, Lentil, and Make Way for Ducklings. Then compare them with Blueberries for Sal
Method of Learning: